...and the most ego. I found this chart interesting, in that the longest
Ph.D. dissertations seem to be in the fields most subject to opinion --
history, antrhopology, political science, communication, english,
sociology, and education. It's almost as if the grad students in those
fields are already preparing for an academic life characterized by the
belief that the more they say about their opinions, the more they can
pretend they aren't opinion.

The chart reminds me of an old college professor of mine who had a big
rubber stamp that he would wield mercilessly on papers he thought
deserved it. It was the letters "B.S." -- always stamped in red over
offending paragraphs or pages. When asked what the initials stood for,
he would smile and say, "Bloated Syntax."

http://priceonomics.com/the-average-length-of-dissertations/
<http://priceonomics.com/the-average-length-of-dissertations/>

This said, I disagree with whoever suggested that Stephen King "needs
editing." I find reading his latest work a refreshing throwback to the
days in which writers didn't pander to attention spans shortened by a
lifetime's exposure to "sound bites" and artificially shortened
exposition.

The thing I like most about him as a writer is that he *takes his time*
creating characters, so that the reader gets to feel that he *knows*
them, before he does  something with them in the plot. In "The Stand,"
King lovingly spent the first third of the book creating a character who
was the quintessential great guy. And then he killed him, suddenly and
unexpectedly, as the result of a mindless act of terrorism. You FELT
that. You FELT the loss, almost as if it had been a great guy you knew
personally. I am not convinced that this would have happened if he had
given the character buildup short shrift the way most writers do these
days.

But that's just opinion, too. At least I didn't require 500 pages to
express it.  :-)