What's yer problem? We're saying we like this kind of thing, the fancier and
more elaborate the better.

 Love the costumes in this clip, the different coordinated black-and-white
prints for the vestments.

 Russian liturgical music is kind of an acquired taste for most Westerners, but
it's magnificent once you develop an ear for it.

 I told you my sister sang with an amateur (but superb) Russian chorus in
Boston some years ago, didn't I? They did a tour of Russia at one point, where
they had very eager Russian audiences. Choral performance of liturgical music
had almost become a lost art under Communism, so people were actually
re-learning the style and fine points from them.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <emptybill@...> wrote:

 You're all sounding like desiccated corpses drying in the desert.
 There is another type of Christian life here in America.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0M94z3Pev4

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <authfriend@...> wrote:

 Seraphita wrote:

 > Re "Then after starting TM I began to feel a need for a worship context and
 > joined the
 > church where I'd attended Sunday School, stayed a couple of years but wasn't
 > inspired
 > enough to continue, since I really wasn't into the Personal God aspect of
 > the belief system
 > (or Christ as savior). God as Unified Field, the ultimate (and
 > unworshipable) abstraction, is
 > about as far as I can go. ":
 >
 > Again very close to my view. Here in the UK, the Anglican Church is
 > essentially a wishy-
 > washy nostalgia circus for reminding grown-ups of their childhood. (With
 > bits of Arthurian
 > romance added to the mix.) So all pretty harmless. Even arch-atheist Richard
 > Dawkins has
 > confessed to occasionally popping into a church just to enjoy the aesthetic
 > experience!

 Heehee. Be fun to see that guy Spufford look up from his prayers and clap eyes
on Dawkins.

 > Having always been intrigued by the occult fringe, I've also seen some
 > attraction in the

 > Catholic position: the Mass as a magical ritual and the unembarrassed
 > veneration of those
 > medieval mystics. Even such unregenerates as Oscar Wilde, Baudelaire  and
 > Huysmans
 > finally turned to Rome as they sensed it was the more poetical religion.

 Huh, I'm attracted by the poetry/music/incense/art/theatrical aspects as well.
Goes way back with me to the (wonderful) Audrey Hepburn film "The Nun's Story."
I think I'd need a Peter Finch equivalent, though.

 To this day I have no idea whether my late father had any religious
sensibility whatsoever, but he adored churches and religious music and
painting. I guess it's in the genes.

 I might be tempted to pop into a Catholic church at some point if they were
doing a mass in Latin. There's something really magical about Latin. Like
Sanskrit, I suppose, but the music is a lot better. ;-) I once memorized the
Hail Mary in Latin just because I loved the sound of it. My Presbyterian
ancestors (Huguenots, no less) must have spun themselves nearly out of their
graves.