I just came back from a wonderfully pleasant and relaxing lunch at
Einstein, a cafe/restaurant here in Leiden. Einstein's name frequently
comes up in conjunction with Leiden, of course, since he worked here at
the university.

Then when I came home, and relaxed even more by surfing the Net, one of
the first things I stumbled across was this series of historical black
and white photographs, "colorized" to render them in color. Some of them
are beyond wonderful, such as the now-in-color portraits of Charlie
Chaplin and Mark Twain and Walt Whitman. At least one is genuinely
terrifying, capturing the look on Joseph Goebbels' face as he learned
that the photographer taking his portrait -- Alfred Eisenstaedt -- is
Jewish.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/09/colorized-photos_n_4242066.html
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/09/colorized-photos_n_4242066.htm\
l>

But, synchronistically enough, one of the photos that most caught my
attention was the portrait of Einstein. I found myself wondering who the
other guy in the photo was, and whether it might have been a young
version of my grandfather. The truth turned out to be much better. Some
of the stories on this page are priceless:

http://www.sff.net/people/rothman/einstein.htm
<http://www.sff.net/people/rothman/einstein.htm>