http://www.dailydot.com/technology/wikipedia-zero-data-internet/
<http://www.dailydot.com/technology/wikipedia-zero-data-internet/>

I don't know how many of you were around on the Internet before it was
called that, and before it had graphical user interfaces in the form of
the World Wide Web.

The earliest "Net databases" worked exactly this way. I was an early
user of the Internet Movie Database (IMDB), back when to use it you had
to send an email message to a certain address, and enter your query in a
certain syntax in either the message Subject line or its content. Then
the IMDB would email you back the results of your query.

Sounds primitive these days, but this solution is aimed at areas of the
world that are still primitive, in that they are not connected 24/7 to
the WWW.