This is a very weak defense of your beliefs. As a Buddhist you should already know that the Buddha's rationale for teaching hinged on the fact that he became enlightened - and the nature of his enlightenment.

According to the Buddha himself, at the moment he became enlightened he saw all his previous lives and all his future lives and the pain and suffering he had already endured for eons and the pain and suffering he was to endure in the future. And, he saw in one fell swoop all the suffering that all humans will endure, past and present and future. At that moment he realized the truth of suffering (samsara), action (karma) and rebirth (reincarnation) and how to end suffering following an Eightfold Path.

The Buddha at that moment realized that everything happens for a reason; because of this, that occurs. Just like in a game of billiards depends on cause and effect and gravity sucks. It's not complicated.

So, we know that causation rules the physical world, but is there a moral reciprocity as well? It's always best to err on the side of caution. That's why Buddhists are supposed to be compassionate and to do no harm. You left out the reason why you were seeking the spiritual life! Is it for you own gain or for the benefit of others? That's the real question.

. And what was the On 11/13/2013 1:17 PM, TurquoiseB wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

> If you had a flashback that convinced you you were Jack the Ripper in a previous life should you hand yourself in to the police?
> Could you count on the statute of limitations getting you off the hook?
> Could you claim in mitigation that you weren't yourself when you committed the murders?

I'm going to comment on this, and leave the musings below to others. No offense, but the above stuff is way funny, and creative, and that tickles my funny bone. But -- having kinda been there done that with this experience -- theorizing about it doesn't really float my boat.

I'm like that with many of my most interesting spiritual experiences. I was there. I experienced these things, some of them that fall into the Blade Runner "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe" category. But I can't tell you definitively what they were. Heck, I'm still trying to figure many of them out myself.

Maybe it's a Buddhist thang. They were never all that interested in the "why" things are happening, only in *that* they are happening, and how to make the best of that. I'm kinda drawn that way myself.