Ann, maybe you just need to let your husband take off his apron and abandon the
kitchen for a month or so. God helps them who helps themselves (-:

On Friday, November 15, 2013 8:46 AM, "awoelfleba...@yahoo.com"
<awoelfleba...@yahoo.com> wrote:

So you know, I think Share has gotten to me with all this "stimulation" talk. I
actually read your "Brahmasutrabhasya" as a play on the world "Brah
masturbation". Lord help me.

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <emptybill@...> wrote:

When
we examine the works of Sankara, however, we find a very sparing use of the
word samadhi. In the Brahmasutrabhasya he makes three references to samadhi
as a condition of absorption or enstasis. In the first (2.1.9) , he implicitly
refutes the idea that samadhi is, of itself, the means for liberation, for he
says:
Though there is the natural eradication of difference in
deep sleep and in samadhi etc., because false knowledge has not been removed,
differences occur once again upon waking just like before.
What
Sankara says is that duality, such as the fundamental distinction between
subject and object, is obliterated in deep sleep and in samadhi, as well as in
other conditions such as fainting, but duality is only temporarily obliterated
for it reappears when one awakes from sleep or regains consciousness after
fainting, and it also reappears when the yogin arises from samadhi. The reason
why duality persists is because false knowledge (mithyajana) has not
been removed. It is evident from this brief statement that Sankara does not
consider the attainment of samadhi to be a sufficient cause to eradicate false
knowledge, and, according to Sankara, since false knowledge is the cause of
bondage, samadhi cannot therefore be the cause of liberation.

The Question of the Importance of Samadhi in Modern
and Classical Advaita VedantaBy Michael Comans, Ph.D.