thx, - are we living in a computer simulation?  (also called the
brain-in-a-vat hypothesis).  ...i.e. your "real" brain is being kept alive in a
vat while simulations of an external environment are going on.  Therefore, we
are simulacra.   The conclusion of one philosopher is that "no" - there's no
way to prove that we are, or are not in such a situation (as in the Matrix
movies which portrays one variant of the hypothesis).
 A secondary question would be: If we were such simulacra, how would this
knowledge change our choices and experiences.  Let's try testing it.  OK, your
"real" brain is in a vat and the "you" is a computer generated hologram.  Write
down your experiences for 10 years, then imagine that the you is the "real"
you.  How would your life differ?
 by William-Adolphe Bourquereau:...

 http://www.museumsyndicate.com/images/1/7896.jpg
http://www.museumsyndicate.com/images/1/7896.jpg.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raphita@...> wrote:

 The article that I linked to is actually more interesting (and understandable)
than my post made it sound!

 The top comment below the piece makes an astute observation though:
 "If we are in a simulation run on technology that is vastly superior to what
we have currently that implies a level of scientific development in excess of
what we currently are able to conceive. If we can conceive of any test that
would prove that we are in a simulation then would not that possibility have
already been conceived by the designers of our simulation? If the designers are
able to respond to our actions and construct the simulation in such a way that
we observe the results that they want us to, then how can we ever devise a test
that can prove that we are in a simulation?"
 Nice one!

 ---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raphita@...> wrote:

 The article that I linked to is actually more interesting (and understandable)
than my post made it sound!

 The top comment below the piece makes an astute observation though:
 "If we are in a simulation run on technology that is vastly superior to what
we have currently that implies a level of scientific development in excess of
what we currently are able to conceive. If we can conceive of any test that
would prove that we are in a simulation then would not that possibility have
already be conceived by the designers of our simulation? If the designers are
able to respond to our actions and construct the simulation in such a way that
we observe the results that they want us to, then how can we ever devise a test
that can prove that we are in a simulation?"
 Nice one!

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raphita@...> wrote:

 If you believe The Matrix franchise, what we think is our everyday life is in
fact a simulation generated by an all-powerful computer. However this idea may
not simply be science fiction and 'cosmic rays' could reveal that we are indeed
living in a simulated universe. According to Discover magazine, physicists can
actually test whether we live in our own virtual matrix, by studying radiation
from space.

 Cosmic rays are the fastest particles that exist and originate in far-flung
galaxies. They always arrive at Earth with a specific maximum energy of 1020
electron volts. If there is a specific maximum energy for particles then this
gives rise to the idea that energy levels are constrained by an outside force.
(No, I don't understand that  last sentence either.) More here:
 http://tinyurl.com/lhk68fd http://tinyurl.com/lhk68fd