The problem for the Catholic Church would be that the sacraments central to the
religion and required for salvation couldn't be administered by priestesses.
Whatever ceremonies and practices they might devise would be extraneous,
extra-salvational, as it were.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raphita@...> wrote:

 Re "women cannot be priests":

 Can I propose an alternative approach? What's wrong with women being
*priestesses*?! That was the honourable title they were given in the pagan
world of antiquity.

 It strikes me that the Christian churches are so male-oriented that trying to
include female priests and bishops is really to try and include women who
happen to imitate more or less successfully their male colleagues. Is that
really desirable or feasible in an institution that for millennia has been
dominated by a male ethos? Isn't it asking women to essentially conform to male
values?

 But, on the other hand, do we really want to exclude women from having a
central role in our religious life?

 Is their a solution to this dilemma? What about this: the Christian churches
continue in having only male priests and bishops - and exclude women. That fits
naturally with their historical story and avoids embarrassing admissions that
they've been wrong for 2,000 years!

 But how about this: women develop their own religious ceremonies and practices
outside the Christian dispensation but alongside the male bias of Christian
churches and thus run in parallel - not as opponents but as adding a
complementary aspect. I have in mind someone like Olivia Robertson, (who died
last week!). She was an author, artist, co-founder and high priestess of the
Fellowship of Isis, an international spiritual organisation devoted to
promoting awareness of the feminine aspect of the divine. The Fellowship of
Isis has thousands of members worldwide. Take  a peek here:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1PFYQOn4DI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1PFYQOn4DI

 ---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <authfriend@...> wrote:

 Religion will stand for nothing if its foundational principles are that gay
people are not permitted to marry, or that women cannot be priests, or other
small-minded obsessions with sex and gender.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Little sheep that have lost their way, is all! Pretty soon Religion will stand
for nothing.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <authfriend@...> wrote:

 Actually, more and more religionists are supporting gay marriage, exactly
because they believe that to be against it would be contrary to the moral and
ethical foundations of their religion.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Most Religions have lost contact with their essential source of knowledge,
that is, pure intelligence, or Being as Consciousness.  As such, they are like
ships with a damaged rudder, better than nothing but not very effective.

 Slowly, as ethical humanism takes over decaying Religion, the ethical and
moral foundations of Religions will all be knocked slowly away (note gay
marriage) by the intellectual elite who happen to be atheists.

 Life, without a guide, will disintegrate until a revival of knowledge and
experience and *Religious Science*  replace moral relativism and ethical
humanism.

 True knowledge of the true principles of living can never be totally lost...

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <jr_esq@...> wrote:

  Ann,

 I believe the Catholic Church considers the role of women to be motherhood and
not as patriarchs of the church.  The Church may change its stance depending on
how well the female bishops in the other denominations are perceived by the
general public.  Also, the Church may change depending on the quality of men
that enter the seminary to become priests.

 ---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <awoelflebater@...> wrote:

 Probably not as long as men are running the show.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <jr_esq@...> wrote:

 This appears to be the trend among Protestant Christian churches.  But one
wonders if the Catholic Church would ever accept women as priests.

http://news.yahoo.com/church-england-paves-way-women-bishops-2014-142619228.html

http://news.yahoo.com/church-england-paves-way-women-bishops-2014-142619228.html