The party's over, most of the guests have gone home but a few drunken revelers are trying to keep it alive at 4 AM. :-D

On 11/21/2013 09:46 PM, lengli...@cox.net wrote:

I watched that autism "webinar" that was put on by the David Lynch and Joey Lowenstein foundations, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhK6PVp2AjI. and it was nice, but I heard a lot of people claiming, as usual, that TM was no different than any other form of meditation, was too expensive, and that the webinar was merely an infomertial, etc.

So, I did a scholar.google.com search, and came across a new research review on the EEG of autism.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but, after checking further, on just about every measure I could find, TM's effects on normal people reverses what you find in an autistic person --brainwave power, brain activity, brain connections-- they all appear to be /exactly the opposite/ from what is typical for an autistic person.

Also, /mindfulness/ and /concentration/ meditation techniques show measures that are similar to what autistic people already show, which implies they are NOT good for autistic people to practice.

If research on autistic people doing TM shows the same kinds of changes that normal people show when they do TM, this implies that TM is a direct treatment for autism, not just an anti-stress technique that might be good for autistic people to practice.

Here's my original reddit.com message I put up, which includes the links to the various studies that I use to justify what I say above:

A recent review of all studies on EEG and autism showed that the main pattern of EEG found in people with ASD actually resembles the changes that take place DURING mindfulness and concentration practices. This suggests that such practices are completely inappropriate for individuals with autism.

[Resting state EEG abnormalities in autism spectrum disorders (full text, pdf file)]ttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3058935/pdf/nihms210802.pdf

Mindfulness and concentration-based meditation practices tend to show higher levels of Gamma EEG or higher levels of theta EEG while showing lower levels of Alpha EEG

[Focused attention, open monitoring and automatic self-transcending: Categories to organize meditations from Vedic, Buddhist and Chinese traditions -Table 1 (full text, pdf file)]http://drfredtravis.com/downloads/Travis_preprint.pdf

while Transcendental Meditation tends to show higher levels of Alpha EEG power and lower power levels in other EEG frequency bands.

[A self-referential default brain state: patterns of coherence, power, and eLORETA sources during eyes-closed rest and Transcendental Meditation practice]http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10339-009-0343-2

The first study above also mentions that people with Autism Spectrum Disorder show a markedly reduced level of long-distance connectivity in the brain. Recently published research on many forms of meditation _other than_ TM also found that most forms of meditation reduce the level of long-distance connectivity in the brain, making their effect similar to that which is considered abnormal when found in patients with ASD:

[Reduced functional connectivity between cortical sources in five meditation traditions detected with lagged coherence using EEG tomography (full text, pdf file)]http://www.amaye.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/med-connectivity-EEG-tomog.pdf

The above researchers were recently given a live demo of how fast and how effectively TM establishes long-distance connectivity in the brain, and are conducting their study again, this time using TM practitioners, so that they can compare the results. Based on published research on EEG, researchers on TM expect that this new study will show that TM has exactly the opposite effect from other forms of meditation with respect to long-distance connectivity.

Research on ASD and the resting network of the brain –the so-called “default mode network”– has found that there is a marked abnormality in how the DMN functions in patients with ASD, especially the connectivity to and activity of, the medial Prefrontal Cortex:

[Abnormal functional connectivity of default mode sub-networks in autism spectrum disorder patients (full text, pdf file)]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3058935/pdf/nihms210802.pdf

This turns out to be exactly the same area mostly like to show reduced activity and connectivity due to the practice of mindfulness and concentrative practices:

[Attending to the present: mindfulness meditation reveals distinct neural modes of self-reference]http://scan.oxfordjournals.org/content/2/4/313.abstract

[Impact of meditation training on the default mode network during a restful state (full text, pdf file)]http://scan.oxfordjournals.org/content/8/1/4.full.pdf

[Meditation experience is associated with differences in default mode network activity and connectivity (full text, pdf file)]http://www.pnas.org/content/108/50/20254.full.pdf

and yet, this is the same area most likely to show enhanced activity during TM practice:

[Medial Prefrontal Cortex and Anterior Cingulate Cortex in the Generation of Alpha Activity Induced by Transcendental Meditation: A Magnetoencephalographic Study (full text, pdf file)]http://www.lib.okayama-u.ac.jp/www/acta/pdf/60_1_51.pdf

The ability to directly correlate the physical activity of the brain in specific illnesses with the effects of different kinds of meditation practices opens up an entirely new avenue of research on the effects of meditation and will help guide how such practices are evaluated and prescribed in the future.

This is potentially *huge* --both for the TM organization and for the potential benefit for people with autism. Obviously, many studies need to be done (there's not even a single TM + autism study that has been done yet) to find out whether or not TM has the same effect on people with autism as it has on normal people, but there's obviously justification, at last to me, for doing very large and detailed studies, right off the bat.