Artists often dig deep for material, and it threatens the idea of what art
should be, for many observers. A good friend of mine is a lifetime artist - She
has educated me on the subject matter that is considered acceptable in the art
world, particularly with how women are portrayed. Lynch's stuff is off-kilter,
and a little goes a long way,  for me, but I appreciate his courage to display
these things. The most challenging thing I find about creating art is the
emotional questions it brings up, as it is being created. Good for him.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

 WHY is it spiritual? Because it's by David Lynch, of course.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/22/david-lynch-art_n_4318015.html?utm_hp_ref=arts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/22/david-lynch-art_n_4318015.html?utm_hp_ref=arts

From the article:
 How do you mean spiritual?
 David is very into transcendental meditation, and there is a spiritual belief
that when the gods name things they come into existence. To me, that felt like
how David described his own process of naming. He always has to give something
a name to make it into some kind of object. For example in one piece, "The
Ricky Board," a 1987 drawing, he drew a bunch of rickies, or flies, and gave
them proper names like Steve or John or Bucky. He said as he named each of the
flies they took on personalities and had a kind of uniqueness to them.
See? If someone else gave names to a bunch of flies, people would think he was
a nut case. But when Lynch does it, it's spiritual.