OK, I finally finished it. And I think that I actually displayed
near-heroic restraint in waiting until tonight *to* finish it. Because
my life recently seems to be filled either with work or diligent cafe
loitering, I find that I do most of my actual *reading* on the train,
going back and forth between here (Paris) and there (Leiden). I thought
that I'd be able to finish the last, thrilling stretch of the book on
the train ride this morning, but when we arrived in Paris, I still had
twenty pages to go. Bummer, dude. It took *major* restraint to wait
until after dinner for the final pages.

But they're done, and I give the book an enthusiastic, unrestrained
thumbs-up, on all levels. It's the best Stephen King novel I've read in
quite some time and possibly one of his best, period. It's epic.

What becomes of young Danny after his experiences in the Overlook Hotel
during "The Shining" is both horrific and wonderful. This is a novel
written -- as were some of Tolstoy's best -- from the vantage point of
age, and wisdom. In describing Danny's journey from alcoholic to 15-year
AA token carrier, King is on another level doing nothing less than
describing his own similar real-life journey. King *feels* every pang
that Danny *feels* every time he drives by a bar. He *feels* it as
easily and as psychically as Danny reads minds.

I'm not going to get into plot or anything about the novel, but I will
say -- just as a teaser for the FFL audience -- that this is by far the
best novel I've ever read at depicting what it is like to be telepathic.
King just *nails* it, in such a way that leads me to believe he's had
flashes of mind-to-mind talk in his own life.

It's also a novel about levels of bravery that most of us will never
have to call upon. Dan is brave on many levels, but Abra -- OMG Abra --
is one of the bravest characters I've ever encountered in literature. I
hope Stephen King sticks around long enough to write *her* sequel. I for
one cannot *wait* to hear more of her adventures.

I would also *love* to see the film that will inevitably made of this
novel. I can only hope that it is done justice to, in terms of finding
an adequate screenwriter, director, and above all, actors. I honestly
don't know who I could cast as Dan...no one springs to mind as having
the necessary range and depth to do him justice. And Abra is even more
challenging. Finding young actors and getting great performances from
them is no easy task. I can only hope that whoever winds up casting this
film has as much luck as Luc Bresson had when casting "Leon: The
Professional." Abra deserves an actress of the caliber of Natalie
Portman.

This novel has one other character who I also just can't *wait* to see
portrayed on the screen in the movie. Rose the Hat. Read the novel. See
if Rose doesn't remind you of someone you've encountered somewhere
before.  :-)