--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "TurquoiseB"  wrote:

> It was in that setting that I first discovered the quantum mechanics
of
> Trickle-down Groupie Status. Hot bands attracted hot groupies, hot to
> trot. But when it came down *to* trotting, there was a definite
"pecking
> order" of groupie status. Top of the list -- hottest groupie prize --
> was the lead singer in the band, if there was one. Next came the lead
> guitarist, or guitarists. Next, interestingly enough, came the
drummer.
> Then the bassist and the other sidemen. All of them were pretty much
> guaranteed to score at the end of the gig, if 'scoring' was what they
> had in mind.
>
> Next came the band's manager, and after that the roadies. The guys who
> produced the concert and manned the light show were dead last. But,
even
> so, there were more than enough groupies to go around, so fun -- and
the
> groupies -- were pretty much had by all.

Just to follow up with something more immediately related to FFL and its
concerns and interests, I tend to see pretty much the same groupie
dynamics acting themselves out in spiritual communities. At the top of
the pecking order, of course, is the teacher or guru, and the game is to
get as close to them as possible. People even have special Woo-Words for
*why* they want to get close, such as "darshan" and "grace" and all that
Woo stuff.

close to the teacher or guru and stay close for some time. In the modern
TMO, that would be the Bevans and Hagelins and people like that; in past
eras it would be Larry Domash and Harold Bloomfield. And, of course,
many of them took full advantage of their perceived groupie status to
cut a wide swath through the female population of TM teachers and
students who came flocking around them.

On residence courses, a well-known phenomenon that we in the Regional
Office always had to warn prospective teachers of these courses about
was called (by us) the Gotta Fuck The Course Leader phenomenon. Both men
and women course leaders were equally perceived as having groupie
status, so put them in a closed environment with a lot of horny men and
women made even more horny by rounding, and as a course leader you often
found yourself hearing knocks on your door in the dead of night. Often
this ended benevolently, with nothing more serious than a one-night
stand happening, but occasionally it caused a mini-scandal or two, and
caused the breakup of marriages. That is why we warned prospective
teachers to be wary of the phenomenon, so that it didn't take them by
surprise.

The one thing I never saw in the TMO in terms of groupie status pecking
order was it following the *hierarchical* pecking order created by the
TMO itself. That is, "Governors" weren't perceived as having any higher
groupie status than regular old vanilla TM teachers. I was never around
during the Raja days, but I would assume that the sight of grown men
running around in long white robes and Burger King crowns didn't exactly
do a lot for *their* groupie status, either.  :-)

As for the women, well...there were so few of them who ever gravitated
to positions of power or influence in the male-dominated TMO that the
issue of groupie status rarely came up. Except in terms of competing
with each other. It's not, after all, as if anyone secretly lusted after
any of the Mother Divine ladies; their idea of charisma was about as
sexy as a chastity belt.  :-)