http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/28/opinion/28dennett.html

"Is "intelligent design" a legitimate school of scientific thought?
Is there something to it, or have these people been taken in by one
of the most ingenious hoaxes in the history of science? Wouldn't
such a hoax be impossible? No. Here's how it has been done.

First, imagine how easy it would be for a determined band of
naysayers to shake the world's confidence in quantum physics - how
weird it is! - or Einsteinian relativity. In spite of a century of
instruction and popularization by physicists, few people ever really
get their heads around the concepts involved. Most people eventually
cobble together a justification for accepting the assurances of the
experts: "Well, they pretty much agree with one another, and they
claim that it is their understanding of these strange topics that
allows them to harness atomic energy, and to make transistors and
lasers, which certainly do work..."

Fortunately for physicists, there is no powerful motivation for such
a band of mischief-makers to form. They don't have to spend much
time persuading people that quantum physics and Einsteinian
relativity really have been established beyond all reasonable doubt.

With evolution, however, it is different. The fundamental scientific
idea of evolution by natural selection is not just mind-boggling;
natural selection, by executing God's traditional task of designing
and creating all creatures great and small, also seems to deny one
of the best reasons we have for believing in God. So there is plenty
of motivation for resisting the assurances of the biologists. Nobody
is immune to wishful thinking. It takes scientific discipline to
protect ourselves from our own credulity, but we've also found
ingenious ways to fool ourselves and others. Some of the methods
used to exploit these urges are easy to analyze; others take a
little more unpacking. ....