More stalking, this one a perfect example of Judy declaring that she
"knows" things that other people don't, and that her "knowing" cannot be
refuted. Note that she's still claiming to "know" that Salyavin didn't
read the article that she posted a link to (the Mortal Sin Of Not
Reading Everything Judy Stein Writes Or Points Out). Note that she
cannot even conceive of the possibility that he read the article and
came to a different conclusion about it than she did. Note her attempt
to jumpstart an argument she wanted to have that no one was interested
in.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,  wrote:

> I was sorry Salyavin didn't read the article I linked to but simply
dismissed the idea of according "personhood" to chimps without knowing
what was actually involved. I thought there might be an interesting
discussion about the potential legal rights of chimps.

>  Trying again...here are a couple of quotes that frame the issue in
more detail:

>  "With testimonials from experts like Jane Goodall, Wise makes the
case that chimpanzees have qualities that allow them to have the very
basic legal right not to be imprisoned. It’s not that chimpanzees
are the legal equivalent of human beings. Rather, the court
filing...argues that chimpanzees are enslaved, and that the courts
already recognize that slavery is wrong:

>  "'This petition asks this court to issue a writ recognizing that
Tommy is not a legal thing to be possessed by respondents, but rather is
a cognitively complex autonomous legal person with the fundamental legal
right not to be imprisoned.'"

http://science.time.com/2013/12/02/chimps-human-rights-lawsuit/#ixzz2mWf\
W8tZD >

>  "Wise isn’t arguing that chimpanzees should be given the full
rights of humans, and that’s where this lawsuit begins to make
sense. Whatever you think of the cognitive abilities and emotions of
chimps, I think we can all agree that they are different from, say,
chairs. They’re different from cars. Treating these animals as
mere property is simply wrong.

>  "We do, of course, have a class of persons in this country who
don’t have maximum rights but are more than mere property.
They’re called 'children,' and most of them have considerably
less intelligence than a chimpanzee. So there is precedent for extending
legal protection to 'human-like' creatures who throw poop and change the
channel during the last two minutes of a football game."

>  http://abovethelaw.com/2013/12/lawsuit-of-the-apes/
http://abovethelaw.com/2013/12/lawsuit-of-the-apes/

>  I wrote:
>
>  Tell ya what, Salyavin, read the article and get back to us, OK?
>
> Salyavin wrote:
>
>  > Before you give rights to chimps you should work out if they are
capable of understanding what is being offered. Anthropomorphism isn't
any way to go about helping wildlife.

>  Chimps aren't people, they are chimps and they can't fit into our
world in the same way we couldn't fit into theirs. They aren't as "like
us" as a lot of people think. We should only extend personhood to people
as they are capable of learning a language and communicating their needs
themselves, with obvious exceptions.

>  ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, authfriend@ wrote:
>
>  We're getting there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/03/science/rights-group-sues-to-have-chim\