Re "The mystical psychiatrist Richard Maurice Bucke distinguished between three
types of consciousness: Simple Consciousness, awareness of the body, possessed
by many animals; Self Consciousness, awareness of being aware, possessed only
by humans; and Cosmic Consciousness, awareness of the life and order of the
universe, possessed only by humans who are enlightened.":

 Bucke's experience of CC only lasted a minute or so. Some of his friends later
advised him to try Indian yoga to learn how to replicate the experience. He
wasn't interested. It wasn't that he didn't believe that yoga/meditation could
alter someone's state but he regarded it as too much like "taking heaven by
storm". It was evolution of the race that would gradually produce more
enlightened humans - in the same way that "self consciousness" had naturally
arisen out of "simple consciousness". Was he right?

 It's striking that Gopi Krishna (of kundalini fame), living in India and
spending a lifetime on the spiritual quest, said that he'd only ever met two
people he regarded as fully awakened. One was an anonymous sadhu who emerged
from a forest about whom we know nothing; the other was Ramana Maharshi. Now
one thing we do know about Maharshi is that he achieved his awakening
spontaneously and *not* as a result of doing yoga/meditation or other spiritual
exercises. So he was a "natural mystic" in Bucke's sense. Maybe the "anonymous
sadhu" was a "natural" also.

 Perhaps we should all be more relaxed about the spiritual trip and just let
Mother Nature take her course. She probably knows better than us what it's all
about.