I followed the Jim link. So you have touched the flesh of a demi-god!

 Rock gigs in those days could be pretty violent places. Too much testosterone,
booze and drugs.

 Re: "As an afterthought, The Doors were *by far* the worst band of the era.
Ray Manzarek could play an acceptable keyboard combo . . . but Robbie could
barely play his guitar. He had to work out all of his parts beforehand . . .
The drummer was adequate, but barely. They had risen to fame based only on
Morrison's image and his bad songwriting.":

 The songs on the first two LPs were special. OK, "When the Music's Over" and
""The End"  were a bit overwrought but the other tracks stand up well today.
"End of the Night" still gives me goose bumps.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjY3nfvkJ0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjY3nfvkJ0Y

 Manzarek also did some decent work as a producer with LA punk band "X".