on 10/3/05 11:07 AM, akasha_108 at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Rick,
>
> How did it go?

Very well. We maxed out on the tickets - about 250. There were all sorts of
folks there - nice cross section of the community. Some who ordinarily
wouldn't be caught dead at an Amma-related function. Kirk worked very hard
in the kitchen, along with some great volunteers. Food was good. People put
together some great decorations, especially Sweta Ports, Pete's daughter,
who made about a dozen large (5') Mardi Gras masks, each one different.
Waiters wore peacock feather masks. There were beads on every table and many
donned them. Cajun/Zydeco dance music and dancing demonstration. Raised over
$6,000. Doug Hamilton and I drove Kirk around town, campus, and Vedic City
for a tour. Interesting to see all the SV houses, empty pundit housing, etc.
It was interesting hanging out with Kirk for a few days. Just took him to
the airport at 5:30 this morning. He's eager to get back home as he's been
away since before the hurricane and has a lot of work to do to get his life
back together. It was very generous of him to come up and do this.