Er, no, sorry. Remember the level of musical education of the person to whom I
was speaking when I used the term, and with reference to what piece (I know you
like it, but I thought it was really pretty drab).

 BTW, some of the "great composers" were also intrigued by "found music" and
"primitive" tunes, folk music, spirituals, and so on, using them in important
pieces (e.g., Dvorak's "New World" Symphony).

 Bhairitu wrote:

 << The term "real music" sounds curious to a trained musician's ear because
they no there is no such thing as "real music."  It's a "fan term."  Musicians,
especially composers, can be as intrigued with the simple made up tune of a
mountain goat herder as with the complex orchestrations of the great composers.
 "Real music" sounds like a term that someone who is insecure about their
choice of music would use because they need the "good musickeeping seal of
approval" for their music choices. :-D >>
 Not to say that some of the music linked isn't wonderful.  I could probably
link to some other pieces that are admired by professionals that some folks
here might hate.  You gotta appreciate the works of John Cage too.

 I noted your post about the music generated by Wikipedia editing.  I call that
a "sound piece" and not actually music though someone has crafted the scales
used so there is almost no dissonance.  Musicians are often experimenting with
such things to come up with new and different ideas.  A few years ago I noticed
that after listening to 5 or 10 minutes of Tibetan Gamelan music I heard
western music in a different light.  It almost deprogrammed me of any
association which images we get when we listen to music.