Similarly, in Quiet: The Power of Introverts, Susan Cain cites How To Win
Friends and Influence People and its popularity in the corporate world, with
people coming to believe that one has to be an extrovert in order to succeed.
I'd add that being extroverted has come to be equated with being cheerful and a
cheerleader, upbeat all the time.

I like Ehrenreich's idea that we "close in on something" meaning that we might
not arrive at Truth, but that we can still act on the best info that we have at
the time.