"If it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures, like Shakespeare wrote poetry, like Beethoven composed music; sweep streets so well that all the host of Heaven and Earth will have to pause and say,"Here lived a great sweeper, who swept his job well "
- Martin Luther King, Jr., Facing The Challenge Of A New Age, In Philosophy

      "Christ Showed me the Way, but Gandhi showed me the method."  - Martin Luther King, Jr., on Gandhi

-------------------OriginalMessage------------------
From: "Rick Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:06:26 -0500
Subject: [FairfieldLife] This Shining Moment in the Now

From: The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor

Broadcast on WSUI (and elsewhere) September 26

Poem: "This Shining Moment in the Now" by David Budbill, from While We've Still Got Feet
© Copper Canyon Press. Reprinted with permission.

      This Shining Moment in the Now

      When I work outdoors all day, every day, as I do now, in the fall, getting ready for winter, tearing up the garden, digging potatoes, gathering the squash, cutting firewood, making kindling, repairing bridges over the brook, clearing trails in the woods, doing the last of the fall mowing, pruning apple trees, taking down the screens, putting up the storm windows, banking the house—all these things,
as preparation for the coming cold...

      when I am every day all day all body and no mind, when I am physically, wholly and completely, in this world with the birds, the deer, the sky, the wind, the trees...

      when day after day I think of nothing but what the next chore is, when I go from clearing woods roads, to sharpening a chain saw, to changing the oil in a mower, to stacking wood, when I am all body and no mind...

     when I am only here and now and nowhere else—then, and only then, do I see the crippling power of mind, the curse of thought, and I pause and wonder why I so seldom find this shining moment in the now.

Yahoo! for Good