> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > In this case, MMY started out with "Do less and
> > > accomplish more," which was understood to be simply a
> > > claim of more efficient action as a result of TM
> > > practice.  Only later, apparently, did he add, "Do
> > > nothing, accomplish everything"--I'd guess in the
> > > context of the TM-Sidhis?
> >
> > You would guess wrong.  The phrase was already
> > in vogue in 1967.
>
> Both were current when I started TM in 1975, so I
> couldn't say.  But I've heard TM teachers say that
> at first it was just "Do less and accomplish more."
>
> Back in 1967, did you understand "Do nothing and
> accomplish everything" to be a prescription to
> refrain from acting?

Never.

HOWEVER, there was a STRONG injunction from
the TM movement that certain TYPES of action
would not be condoned, if you were to continue
to be a TMer or TM teacher in "good standing."

That included pretty much all forms of psycho-
therapy, any techniques taught by other traditions,
and went as far as techniques learned from books,
INCLUDING such things as self-analysis as has
been discussed here.  Practices such as monitoring
one's thoughts or actions in the sense of mindful-
ness practice were definitely considered "off the
program."  Since mindfulness IS the 'action' I now
feel is necessary to fully realize enlightenment,
I guess you'd have to say that Yes, I believe that
there was a strong injunction to refrain from action.