I have to thank my brother for this one. He mentioned it in his annual
"Best of the Year" email to me about the recent Golden Globe and
International Press Academy nominations. The former did not recognize
either "Orphan Black" or "Rectify" in their noms, but the latter did.

And a good thing IMO. This Sundance Channel series is darker than many
here on FFL would like. It *is*, after all, the story of a man released
from 20 years on death row after DNA evidence raises doubts about his
conviction, and trying to figure out what life in the world is all
about. But the writing, the direction, and above all the acting cause it
to rise up from its pulp fiction roots and *soar* from time to time.

Both Aden Young (as the former convict) and Abigail Spencer (as his
sister) *more* than deserve their nominations from the IPA. It's a shame
that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (Golden Globes) didn't feel
similarly, but they have a habit of going for the mainstream and the
safe in terms of TV.

If you're looking for action in your TV shows, you're not going to find
it here. It's reminiscent of "Under The Dome" in that it's about a small
town being fed on by its own fears and secrets, but it's a far more
subtle series than that Stephen King-based series. This is a small town
in Georgia, not the Midwest, and it ain't no miraculously-appearing-dome
that's got their small town panties in a twist. It's that there is a guy
living among them whom at least half of them are convinced really raped
and murdered one of their own, a teenaged girl, 20 years ago.

This kinda dynamic breeds ugliness, and that ugliness is not defused in
any way by Daniel, the ex-con. Daniel's story is that at age 18 he was
convicted of this crime and sent to prison for the next 20 years. He has
spent more time on death row than he has out in the world. His whole
world for 20 years has consisted of not knowing whether this was his
last day on earth, and finding a way to live with that.

Now he finds himself back in the world, and trying to find a way to live
with THAT. Aden Young is *tremendous* at portraying this. At times
distant, at times more emotionally vulnerable than anyone you've seen
onscreen in years, he just steals the screen. The cinematographers
wisely take advantage of this and allow their cameras to linger on his
face. Ten seconds of watching his face tells more of a story than most
actors can convey in an hour of dialog.

And Abigail Spencer as Amantha. What is not to like about Abigail
Spencer? She is stunningly beautiful, and as equally stunning an actress
as the strong sister who has been Daniel's only real support and
believer through this whole ordeal. Adelaide Clemens is also memorable
as a distant stepsister who never knew Daniel before he went away to
prison, and who now wants only to save his soul for Jesus.

Caveat emptor. This is slow, painstaking,
we-will-tell-no-story-before-its-time storytelling. Some people in our
soundbyte-sized, content-free media universe might not be able to cope
with that well. If you're one of them, no shame, and no problem. But if
you're not, and you demand more of the TV series you give your time to,
you might want to consider giving a few hours to this one.

My first impulse upon finishing the last of the six episodes was to want
to go back and watch the whole series again. That's always a good sign,
IMO. You can let it stand as my one-sentence review of "Rectify."

  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-kTxNItURU>