Brings to mind a quote by a famous musician - David St. Hubbins - lead singer
for Spinal Tap -  [Asked by a reporter if this is the end of Spinal Tap]:

 "Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being
the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to
extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed
infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if
it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's
the end, you know, is my question to you."

---In FairfieldLife@{{emailDomain}}, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

 --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

> Rick booted indifferent_netizen, who seems to have been Ravi. It appears that
> Ravi is subscribed under another ID, and by using the hide email address
> option and constantly changing Yahoo aliases, he can post as he pleases and
> not get booted off. That's the price of Rick configuring FFL for anonymous
> posting.

 Having just scrolled in Message View through the list of 86 posts made since I
logged out last night, and having not found a single one that I felt like
clicking on to read, I've gotta respond to Alex's drive-by with a hearty "I
told you so."

The problem is not anonymous posting; the problem is using this place as a
forum for ego-wars and petty squabbles, and mistaking them for intelligent
conversation. 825 posts since midnight Friday, and over half of them fall into
the above category, posted by only a handful of people. This handful have by
now established enough of a "track record" that I feel safe in ignoring
anything they have to say for the rest of the incarnation.

The old posting limits may have been a pain for you, Alex, but they kept this
place *somewhat* readable and worth visiting. I have to say it's gone past that
point now. I scan the list of posts and the only names I'm even tempted to
click  on are anartaxius and s3raphita and Bhairitu and merudanda and
steve.sundur and occasionally emptybill and cardemaister.

Doc occasionally posts something interesting and non-"Look At Me" these days
but it's difficult to tell from the first few words in Message View so I
usually give his posts a pass just to be sure. Share seems to have two
qualities her tormentors do not -- range and an ability to feel positive
emotion -- but to be honest most of the things she's interested in I'm not, so
I often skip her posts, too. MichaelJ and Edg are occasionally funny, so I
sometimes give their posts a shot.

I *understand* that the old posting limits were a pain for you, Alex, and I
don't blame you in the least for wanting them gone. But I DO have to point out
that what many warned of as the consequence of getting rid of them seems to
have come to pass, in spades.

There are essentially NO new posters; who would *want* to come here, given what
the place has degenerated into? Some of the old voices have moved on as well,
possibly partially because of Neo, but my bet is they don't see anything here
worth participating in, either.

I guess in a way I should be thankful, because my "reading" of Fairfield Life
now takes less than five minutes a day. That suits me just fine, because I
actually have a life, and things to do.

Sad though, that so few could have been allowed to ruin a place that was
formerly enjoyed by many...