http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051006/ts_alt_afp/mideastbritainusiraq_051006214432

LONDON (AFP) - US     President George W. Bush
allegedly said God told him to invade     Iraq and
Afghanistan, a new BBC documentary will reveal,
according to details.

Bush made the claim when he met Palestinian leader
Mahmud Abbas and then foreign minister Nabil Shaath in
June 2003, the ministers told the documentary series
to be broadcast in Britain later this month.

The US leader also told them he had been ordered by
God to create a Palestinian state, the ministers said.

Shaath, now the Palestinian information minister,
said: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven
with a mission from God.

'God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those
terrorists in Afghanistan'.'

"And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go
and end the tyranny in Iraq...' And I did.

"'And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go
get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis
their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And
by God I'm gonna do it'," said Shaath.

Abbas, who was also at the meeting in the Egyptian
resort of Sharm al-Sheikh, recalled how the president
told him: "I have a moral and religious obligation.

"So I will get you a Palestinian state."

A BBC spokesman said the content of the programme had
been put to the White House but it had refused to
comment on a private conversation.

The three-part series, "Elusive Peace:     Israel and
the Arabs", charts the attempts to bring peace to the
Middle East, from former US president     Bill
Clinton's peace talks in 1999-2000 to Israel's
withdrawal from the Gaza strip.

The programme speaks to presidents and prime
ministers, their generals and ministers, about what
happened behind closed doors as the peace talks failed
and the intifada grew.

The series is due to be screened in Britain on October
10, 17 and 24.

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://mail.yahoo.com