Missed this one! Writer Colin Wilson died on December 5th so he had the
misfortune of dying on the same day as Nelson Mandela! (Like Aldous Huxley and
C S Lewis with John F Kennedy.)

 I've read and enjoyed a fair few of his books. He had his own cod philosophy
which involved something he called "Faculty X", a latent ability in people to
achieve intenser forms of consciousness. You could never work out exactly what
he was getting at but his interest in abnormal sexual behaviour and in the
paranormal worked well in his fiction. Some dismissed him as a "scrambled
egghead"!

 Although he never learned TM he took a positive interest in it and wrote the
forward to Joyce Collin-Smith's autobiography of her time with MMY in the
sixties in the UK. You may find the following extract from Wilson's "Dreaming
to Some Purpose" of interest:

 "But I was also aware that too much relaxation can be dangerous. I recalled a
strange story told to me by a friend called Joyce Collin-Smith, the
sister-in-law of one of Ouspenky’s most brilliant disciples, Rodney Collin. In
August 1960, she became a follower of the Hindu guru, the Maharishi Mahesh
Yogi, who was convinced that the world could be transformed by ‘transcendental
meditation’. S he described how she had gone to the house the Maharishi had
rented near Regents Park, taking a flower as an offering. The Maharishi, a
little man with a high voice and a sing-song Indian accent, taught her a brief
mantra in Sanskrit, which immediately brought a strange, deep sense of peace.
He told her to go and sit near the window, on the carpet; as she did so, the
mantra seemed to be repeating itself in her brain without her volition. Time
slipped peacefully by - three hours - before she noticed the evening traffic in
the street, and realised she had to get home to cook her husband’s dinner.

From then on, the mantra would plunge her into the same deep state of blissful
serenity. She saw the Maharishi do the same thing repeatedly; once a long queue
stretched down the corridor of a hotel in Oxford, and the Maharishi saw each
person in turn, accepted the flower, then touched the donor on the forehead and
told him to go and sit down; all obviously experienced the same instantaneous
feeling of peace.

Joyce was by then acting as the Maharishi’s unpaid secretary, and it was she
who took a phone call from the management saying that an old lady who lived on
the same floor was complaining about the noise and threatening to leave. Joyce
asked the Maharishi: ‘What shall we do?’ ‘Do nothing’ said the Maharishi,
smiling benevolently, ‘It will be all right’. And so it was. They heard nothing
more from the old lady.

This was one of many examples of the Maharishi’s odd powers, which were to some
extent telepathic – as was illustrated on another occasion, when he read
Joyce’s mind as she sat in the audience listening to him, and answered the
question she meant to ask. Every one of the Maharishi’s followers seemed to be
happy and light-hearted; he was surrounded by an atmosphere of gaiety.

But Joyce soon noticed that not all was well. Some of the disciples began
spending more and more time sitting in a state of bliss, and it was obvious
that they were becoming less and less capable of coping with everyday life.
They didn’t want to come back and face reality.

Joyce herself began to experience something more disturbing. She found it
increasingly difficult to focus her mind, and seemed to see too deep into the
underlying reality of things. She had always understood intellectually that
everything changes, but now she could actually see it happening. Looking at her
hands, she would see them change into the hands of a child, and at the same
time into the hands of an old woman., then into a skeleton. Looking at a chair,
she could see it as new timber still smelling of sap, and as a worn out old
chair about to be thrown on the bonfire. Everything fluctuated all the time.

Finally she could stand it no longer, and decided to commit suicide. She took a
rope and went to a tree in the garden. But as she looked at the rope, she
suddenly noticed that it was staying still, remaining unchanged. Instead of
dissolving into strands, then into flax, or becoming old and frayed, it was
holding steady. The emergency had shaken her subconscious mind awake. Which
meant that she had to set out to train her mind to fix her attention on the
present. And as soon as she learned to do this, the problem went away.

By this time she was becoming disillusioned with the Maharishi, who was
changing from a child-like guru into a super-tycoon, so she left the movement.

Joyce had discovered the same trick I had learned to control [my] panic
attacks: focusing the mind to prevent it from wavering. The answer lies in one
word: attention."