[image: Inline image 1]
Sumi painting by Shunryo Suzuki

Zen Master Dogen got the Soto Zen practice from his teacher in China -
Dogen was a master linguist and the author of 'Shobogenzo' in which he
describes in detail the Soto Zen practice - sitting meditation. In Dogen's
Zen practice, the primary realization is the *oneness* of
practice-enlightenment. The practice of zazen and the experience of
enlightenment are one and the same - there is no difference - no
duality.According to Georg Feurerstein, the Buddha Shakya the Muni was the
first historical yogin in India - Buddha taught meditation that was
transcendental.

It' s like a Zen koan:

"Wind flag, mind moves,
The same understanding.
When the mouth opens
All are wrong." - Mumon

The practice of 'just sitting' is non-different from the enlightenment -
there is no gap between your practice and your enlightenment. Just sitting
IS enlightenment. Zazen is not step-by-step process - it is all-at-once or
nothing at all. There are no steps along the way. According to Shunryo
Suzuki, a master in the Soto Zen sect, meditation is 'zazen', regular
sitting, based on the teachings of Zen Master Dogen. It's just like TM
practice, sitting meditation. Anyone who has practiced TM and Soto Zen
knows this - it's pretty common knowledge without even going into any
linguistics.

Dogen Kigen:

    Fifty-four years lighting up the sky.
    A quivering leap smashes a billion worlds.
    Hah!
    Entire body looks for nothing.
    Living, I plunge into Yellow Springs.

Exerpt:

"Once we turn our eyes from Japan to the Western
scene, we find that virtually nothing has been
introduced concerning Dogen - this is unfortuenant
indeed, given that ignorance of Soto Zen is
tantamount to ignorance of Dogen, its founder."

Ken Wilber says that Zen practice is very similar to TM practice.
Apparently Wilber's parents have started TM practice some time ago. Wilber
ascribes to the 'two truths doctrine' of
Nagarjuna. For Wilber no metaphysical doctrine or apparent reality is true
in an absolute sense: only formless awareness, "the simple feeling of
being," exists absolutely.

Works cited:

'The Yoga Tradition: Its History, Literature,
Philosophy and Practice'
by Georg Feuerstein and Ken Wilbur
Hohm Press, 2001

'Dogen Kigen--Mystical Realist'