John, astrology has it's basis on the visual planets and the nodes. Western astrology started adding the newly discovered planets and making things up about them. The visual planets and nodes had already centuries of observation. You can't see Uranus and Neptune with the naked eye so they're just making things up about them. Same for Pluto. It's like western astrologers were having problems with their charts working out because they don't take in account the precession of the equinox as jyotish does so they adopted these outer planets.

The lunar nodes were observed as points where eclipses take place. They are a scientific part of astronomy. They have been "personified" as Rahu and Ketu to make them easier to understand for simple people.

As I've mentioned here before one of the astrologers from India once pointed out that most Indian astrologers who make good predictions use very simple techniques. I also pointed out how many westerners trying to do Jyotish glum onto the "icing" instead of the cake and make lame predictions.

It may well be just as primitive tribes counted "moons" the evolution of jyotish may well have been tracking cycles via the other planets. These cycles may have nothing to do at all with the planets themselves other than they occur near repeating positions of these planets. So they were used as "markers" to see if the same kind of events would reoccur.

I met some of these western astrologers at a joint jyotish and western astrology conference in Lynnwood, Washington in 1996. The jyotish practitioners were mostly humble and spiritual and the western ones were about their "image" and like Amway salespeople.