Comment below:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > If people think they are going to get enlightened by
> > living in SV houses they are complete fools. Why MMY
> > is shilling SV is beyond me. Realization has
> > absolutely nothing to do with the shape or the
> > orientation of the house you live in. Some effect on
> > "energy"? Sure, why not, but enlightenment? No way.
> > Enlightenment dependent on the shape and orientation
> > of the house you live in! It's a joke! MMY is making a
> > funny.
>
> MMY is making an ass of himself and a mockery
> of his teacher.  He needs to do what Guru Dev
> first told him to do and go spend some time
> in a non-SV cave meditating.
>
> As far as I can tell, the whole SV phenomenon
> is *exactly* the "cart before the horse"
> "tragedy of knowledge" phenomenon he used to
> speak of in the early days when the knowledge
> was still familiar to him.  It's the kind of
> desperate gesture one invents when enlighten-
> ment hasn't appeared as promised after decades
> of practice.

Snip to End
**

Without addressing many of the other reasons that have been advanced
regarding why Maharishi has trumpeted all these other "vedic"
technologies over the past couple of decades and, besides lip service,
almost entirely ignored promoting meditation, I would posit another.
It might not be the most plausible but it does, for me at least, allow
some degree of reconciliation between the Maharishi I had personal
exposure to in the 70's and the intentions (as I understood them)
behind his schemes then and some possible intentions driving his
schemes now. (Even though I realize that ultimately it makes no
difference if I can reconcile anything aboout Maharishi.  That's not
my goal; only these are ideas that keep knocking about.)

It seems not unlikely that the "need" for deep-meditation and
transcendence felt by so many of us in the 60s, 70's and 80's was
largely satisfied by TM and a number of other spiritual techniques
promulgated during that time. Basically, there was a limited world
"market" for effective sadhana, but a much larger "market" for
products and services that promote or "point to" the eventual need for
personal sadhana.

Since Maharishi acts like a businessman in the way he addresses his
organization, it seems entirely reasonable that the branching out into
areas of life that are of more quotidian concern and contextualizing
them within Maharishi's "vedic" tradition that upholds the basic
premise of Absolute and relative and attempts to establish the proper
relationship between the two in the life of the individual is just a
natural "business-like" way of addressing the drying-up of demand for
transcendence, while at the same time promoting a point of view that,
if followed, eventually leads the individual to the need for
transcendence.  Like nesting dolls that share the basic shape and
configuration in a fractal-like design relationship, they reflect and
support the particular and the whole simultaneously and seamlessly.

It's not dissimilar in theory to everyday life in India where even
today everything is marketed and sold with (and by) the images of the
Gods and most people walk around with their spiritual third-eye marked
with vermillion and roadside shrines to Ganesh and Hanuman and Devi,
decorated with the wares of the garland sellers, are ubiquitous.  In
that context, everywhere you look, your attention is being directed
towards a higher reality, a more sublime vision, a more cosmic POV.

And, not surprisingly, because Maharishi comes out of that same
cultural milieu I believe it's likely that he saw/sees his mission as
"growing" beyond teaching meditation and rising to help establish a
larger social context where meditation is honored (or at least
understood) because it is seen as the natural core (or apex) of the
activity of a life well-lived.  It's like the spiritual "pyramid" of
life, with so many servings of Stapathya Ved, so many servings of Ayur
Ved, Jyotish, etc.

And, certainly, the branching out and branding of the everday
essentials does provide an income stream as well.  The fact that,
although Maharishi has been "successful" in his business, he has not
really been a good businessman -- making all sorts of plans and
schemes and investing time and energy into them, only to drop them
shortly thereafter and not following up on successes achieved --
suggests that he is still, to some extent (primarily? partially?),
motivated by what he and his organization still characterize as the
greater good of World Peace that really isn't driven by market concerns.

Marek