The New York Dolls were a glam group and pre-punk. The roots of punk may go
back to Iggy and the Stooges, but real punk started with the Ramones in
1974, according to some music historians. Classic punk is based on the DIY
garage band - T-shirted, motorcycle jacketed, and blue jeans wearers like
rockabillies and British rockers of the 1960s. Female punk musicians
displayed styles ranging from Siouxsie Sioux's bondage gear to Patti
Smith's "straight-from-the-gutter androgyny."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_rock

The Seeds presaged the style of bands that would become known as the
archetypal figures of proto-punk: "The Seeds were an American rock band.
The group, whose repertoire spread between garage rock and acid rock, are
considered one of the pioneers of punk rock." The Seed's "Pushin Too Hard"
is listed in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock
and Roll.

The Seeds:

Pushin' Too Hard
http://youtu.be/IReb27tFqMg

[image: Inline image 1]

Notes: I had an encounter with Sky Saxon one day when he tried to get into
our house when we were living in Venice Beach back in 1970. After I locked
him out for being rowdy he got real angry and threatened to cut off my head
for locking him out. Go figure.

In 1973, Saxon became a member of the "Source" which was a religious cult
founded by a Hollywood restaurant owner named Jim Baker,who gave Saxon the
new spiritual name "Arlick". I was planning on seeing Saxon's performance
in 2009 but he passed away suddenly in an Austin hospital due to an
infection at ge 71.

Read more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seeds