> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> <snip>
> > You might also enjoy (possibly a lot more, because
> > you'll be laughing most of the time)
>
> Thanks for the recommendation.
>
> Just for the record, I love to laugh and do it at
> every opportunity.  But I don't find it *more*
> enjoyable than pursuing a fascinating idea.  Both
> are intensely rewarding, but in different ways.
>
> Once in a while the two coincide, and those moments
> are extra-special.  But neither one by itself takes
> precedence, in my experience.

That's exactly the thing with Chris.  There is a
trap (in my opinion) that a lot of people fall
into -- believing that to be serious about some-
thing, you have to appear to be SERIOUS.  It isn't
true.  You can examine a subject thoroughly, and
with historical accuracy (as in the case of "Lamb"),
but while retaining your ability to laugh at it
all and while helping others to do the same.
Chris is a master at doing this.

Not to mention that his book is truly lovely.  He
had the opportunity to take the "low road" in it,
and be satirical or mocking about the Christ story.
But instead he took the "plotline" described in
the Gospels as...uh...gospel, and then invented
a new point of view from which to tell the same
events.  He invented Biff, this kinda gross, un-
subtle guy who grew up with Josh (Jeshua, Jesus),
and thus is the *only* person on the planet who
is not in total awe of him.  In my opinion it's
a *brilliant* concept for a book.  This is a
fictional version of the Gospel I always wanted
to read, and never got to because the original
authors were too emotionally involved to *not*
put Jesus up on a pedestal when writing about
him.  Biff never puts Josh on a pedestal, and
as a result you gain remarkable insights into
a story you thought you already knew.

I've given this book to priests, rabbis, Zen
masters, Tibetan lamas, etc.  ALL have thanked
me for it, and all have said that they learned
a lot about Jesus from it.  It was quite a feat
of writing for a guy who is primarily known for
his off-the-wall humorous books.

Besides, you get to learn what the H in Jesus
H. Christ stands for.  What is not to like
about that?  :-)