---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony2k5@...> wrote [with
corrections applied]:

 After these words the Mason leaned on his elbow on the back of the sofa and
closed his eyes, as though weary of prolonged talking. Pierre gazed at that
stern, immovable, old, almost death-like face, and moved his lips without
uttering a sound. He wanted to say, “Yes, a vile, idle, vicious life,” and he
dared not break the silence. The Mason cleared his throat huskily, as old men
do, Pierre getting up with downcast head, beginning to walk up and down the
room, casting a glance from time to time at the Mason. “Yes, I had thought of
it, but I have led a contemptible, dissolute life, but I did not like it, and
if he liked he could reveal It to me.” Pierre wanted to say this to the old
Mason but dared not. After packing his things with his practised old hands, the
traveller buttoned up his sheepskin. On finishing these preparations, he turned
to Pierre, and in a polite, indifferent tone, said to him:

 “Where you going now, sir?”
 ..answered Pierre in a tone of childish indecision, “I thank you. I agree with
you in everything. But do not suppose that I have been so bad. With all my soul
I have desired to be what you would wish me to be; But I have never met with
help from any one . . . Though I was myself most to blame for everything. Help
me, instruct me, and perhaps I shall be able . . .”

 Pierre could not say more; his voice broke and he turned away.

 The Mason was silent, obviously pondering something.

 “Help comes only from God,” he said, “but such measure of aid as it is in the
power of our movement to give you, it will give you, sir. You go to this
lecture and give them this” (he took out of his notebook and wrote a few words
on a large sheet of paper folded in to four). “One piece of advice let me give
you. Devote your time first to meditation, solitude and self-examination, and
do not return to your old manner of life. Therewith I wish you a good journey,
sir, and all success . . .” The stranger was Osip Alexyevitch Bazdyev as Pierre
found later and had been one of the most well known freemasons and Martinists
even in Novikov's day. For a long time after he had gone Pierre walked about
the room. He reviewed his vicious past, and with an ecstatic sense of beginning
anew, pictured to himself a blissful, irreproachably virtuous future, which
seemed to him easy of attainment. It seemed to him that he had been vicious
simply because he had accidentally forgotten how good it was to be virtuous.

 Come on Buck, write your own stuff.