"The first way of repentance is condemnation of sins. 'You must declare your
own sins first that you may be justified.' Wherefore also the prophet said 'I
said, I will speak out, my transgression to the Lord, and You remitted the
iniquity of my heart.' Condemn yourself therefore for your own sins. This is
enough for the Master by way of self-defense. For he who condemns his sins, is
slower to fall into them again. Awake your conscience, that inward accuser, in
order that you may have no accuser at the judgment seat of the Lord."--St. John
Chrysostom

 << And finally, I find the notion that one should never feel shame for one's
mistakes contemptible.

 I feel shame that your mistaken notion is contemptible. >>