Re "Islam is more tolerant than what is being practiced by some Muslim sects":

 Have you actually read the Koran? Take a look at this conference footage from
Sam Harris's site.
 As Harris says:
 "The organizers of this conference believe (with good reason) that “extremist”
views are not rare among Muslims, even in the West. And they consider the
media’s denial of this fact to be a symptom of… Islamophobia. The serpent of
obscurantism has finally begun to devour its own tail. Apparently, it is a sign
of racism to imagine that only a tiny minority of Muslims could actually
condone the subjugation of women and the murder of apostates. How dare you call
us “extremists” when we represent so many? We are not extreme. This is Islam.
They have a point. And it is time for secular liberals and (truly) moderate
Muslims to stop denying it."

 http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/islam-or-islamophobia2
http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/islam-or-islamophobia2