Ann, I agree that there's an instinct to survive. But I don't think there's an
instinct "to survive in style," as you say. I think anything beyond basic
survival needs is conditioned into us by the people and circumstances of our
childhood. Remember the significance of "Rosebud" in Citizen Kane? Of course
we're also hugely conditioned by our culture and this conditioning, from what
I've read, spreads to the remotest corners of the earth via TV, etc. Supposedly
Dallas was one of the most popular shows in Saudia Arabia!

I think it's a matter of degree. I would wish for everyone on earth to have
their basic needs met and even be comfortable. But I've seen pictures of solid
gold doors in Dubai. Does someone really need a solid gold door to their house
in order to be comfortable?!

I admit I don't understand how such an imbalance continues decade after decade.
There are people who collect very expensive cars for a hobby. And there are
babies starving to death every day. I don't understand how this continues.

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:22 AM, "awoelfleba...@yahoo.com"