Re this Chuang-tzu quote: "A monk fell asleep and dreamed he was a butterfly.
When he awoke, he asked himself "Was I a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or am
I a butterfly dreaming I am a man"?

 Chuang-tzu's point was NOT to imply that all experience is dream-like (it
isn't); Chuang-tzu's point was NOT to suggest that he could really be a
butterfly (he wasn't one)! What Chuang-tzu was getting at is that our everyday
sense of self - "I am a man - a father - a doctor - an American" - is just the
social role we've been conditioned to accept. It's our sense of identity he's
attacking. It's that false sense of a permanent ID in the ever-changing flow of
the Tao that is our "hang-up".