turq, I once heard Maharishi say that fear is the last negative emotion to go.
From my own experience, I'd say this is right on target. Different people have
different ways of dealing with fear, especially the fear of death. Go figure (-:

On Friday, January 31, 2014 9:44 AM, TurquoiseB <turquoi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long  wrote:

> That's ok, turq, I don't take it personally.

Good. It's just the concept I'm objecting to. I mean, who could possibly equate
being completely dependent on the TMO and no other source for all of one's
spiritual teachings and techniques -- and paying Big Bucks for them -- with
"self-sufficiency?" This just does not compute. It sounds like total dependency
to me.

I mean, imagine you've got a weekend off and want to spend a little more time
in meditation than usual. I still know people who started TM when I did (46
years ago) who are still deathly afraid of doing this at home, or just renting
a mountain cabin to do it in. It wouldn't be "safe," y'know? You *have* to be
in a supervised TM environment (and of course pay money for it) before you can
do "extra meditations." How "self-sufficient" is that?

Not to mention "advanced techniques" (which, as Bhairitu and others have
pointed out, are "beginner's techniques" in many other traditions). Either you
pay for them (last I checked, the same exorbitant price charged for TM), or
you're stuck with the same old same old "basic TM" for the rest of your life.
That sure sounds like "self-sufficiency" to me. Not!