Xeno, though it has been over 40 years, I have been drunk. In fact, I would say
for about 1 month, I was addicted to alcohol. I was newly separated from my
husband of 6 years. I was 26 and living alone for the first time in my life. I
never passed out. I think I got sick only once. Plus I had experienced the very
different high of marijuana. Then all that addiction dropped away. About a
month later I saw a TM poster. Very soon afterwards I was initiated, a week
before the first Merv Griffin Show.

Transcending for me is very
 different than being drunk or being high. It really did not, and does not,
allow for escape from any aspect of one's self. What it nudges one towards is
the realization that no escape is needed from anything. Because of what you
call continuity and intimacy with all things. In my experience being
 drunk does not support such a sublime but ordinary experience. Being high
does, a little bit. But nothing nudges like transcendence that is natural, not
dependent on any substance or on any harmful behavior, such as gamboling.

And I agree that at a certain point, words and phrases are too limiting to
adequately describe what is indescribable. But I guess words give us the
illusion that we've lassoed life. When really we're the ones who have been
lassoed. Over and over again.

On Friday, January 31, 2014 1:42 PM, "anartax...@yahoo.com"