Mudra is a seal or secret hand gesture; an auspicious hand-sign used by
yogis.

[image: Inline image 1]

A yogi displaying the secret hand sign - Tat Wallah Baba

According to Saunders, a mudra is a "seal", "mark", or "gesture"; a
symbolic or ritual gesture in Hinduism and Buddhism. While some mudras
involve the entire body, "most are performed with the hands and fingers. A
mudra is a spiritual gesture and an energetic seal of authenticity employed
in the iconography and spiritual practice of Indian religions."

In Shankara Acharya's Dakshina-murti Stotram, Shankara advises that for our
practice we should meditate on the South-Facing Form, that is, a
north-facing posture of meditative devotion to the Glorious Presence. How,
exactly, is this accomplished? Here are the directions for practicing
transcendental meditation enumerated by the Adi Shankara Acharya:

"Devotion to that Glorious Presence,
Infinite Instructor, Who,
By means of the auspicious hand-sign,
Makes clear to the worshippers
His own real nature
Always shining within as "I,"
Following into all the successive states-
And those beginning with waking."

(Translation by Ernest Wood)

The auspicious hand-sign in Sanskrit literature is referred to as the
symbol of wisdom or the mark of the "I" consciousness, which represents
"Knowing That I am", or "Knowing That I know." The auspicious hand-sign
meditation reminds us of the absolute truth, the circle made by the thumb
and the forefinger is the symbol of unity - a space that is empty, yet full
at the same time. It is the symbol of the one reality and for Shankara, the
one-without-a-second. In this poem Shankara Acharya is advocating the yogic
practice of yogic mudra and meditation on the formless Brahman by use of a
secret hand-sign, the auspicious mudra being the mnemonic device
par-excellence for yogis. SBS seems to agree with this, according to Raj
Varma SBS was a siddha yogi.

Notes:

"The mudra is a 'gesture of understanding' (cincihna); the thumb and index
finger grasp a fine object as a a grain of truth. This is a symbol for
spiritual understanding."

http://www.buddhas-online.com/mudras.html

Mudra:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudra

Works cited:

'The Glorious Presence'
The Vedanta Philosophy Including Shankara's Ode to the South-Facing Form
Quest Books, Theosophical Pub House, 1952
p. 129

"Strange Facts About a Great Saint"
By Raj P. Varma
Jabalpur, India 1980
Varma & Sons Pub.
p. 10

Other resources:

'The Illustrated Dictionary of Hindu Iconography'
by Margaret Stutley
Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1985

'Mudra: A Study of Symbolic Gestures in Japanese Buddhist Sculpture'
by E. Dale Saunders
Princeton University Press, 1975.