> *The idea that there is a vast intelligence behind nature is ridiculous.

*On 2/6/2014 10:09 AM, salyavin808 wrote:
Quite easy actually. Kant lived long before quantum physics and our current understanding of cosmology and evolution.

The last resort of the naive realist is an appeal to instruments. But this appeal to instruments is the final blow to naive realism. For an appeal to instruments, like the appeal to other senses, to past experiences, to repetition, and to other persons, is a confession of failure. For it is a confession that apparently obvious objects are NOT self-evident.

Shankara I wouldn't even include in a conversation about philosophy.

The key word here is "idea". It is interesting to note that Schopenhauer made use of the Upanishads - so I wonder if Kant read any Shankara? It's actually not very easy to refute the idealism of Kant and Shankara on a philosophical level. The whole notion of The Field is based on the idea of intelligence and consciousness.

According to Kant, we never have direct experience of things-in-themselves; we always experience the phenomenal world through our senses.