 Subject: [FairfieldLife] RE: Drink Vedic Coffee and Support Peace
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Saturday, February 15, 2014, 9:42 PM

       As usual this coffee seems to have a premium price.
 I can get Organic coffee 10oz for about $7.00 at the
 local supermarket instead of 8 oz for about $13
 for 'Vedic' coffee so it is more than double the
 cost, a typical movement overcharge. Exactly what do the
 Vedas say about coffee? I bet nothing at all. According to
 Wikipedia '[t]he
 earliest credible evidence of either coffee drinking or
 knowledge of the coffee tree appears in the middle of the
 15th century, in the Sufi Muslim monasteries
 around Mocha in Yemen'. That is
 long after all the Vedic liturature was written. So coffee
 is not really associated with the term 'Vedic' at
 all.
 As for coffee interfering with subtle levels of
 awareness, it sort of depends on how 'embodied' one
 experiences things. When the mind thinks consciousness is
 embodied, then how the body feels is strongly reflected in
 what you feel. When you are not identified with the body so
 much, coffee does not have that much effect on what is
 thought of as subtle. Having 'subtle awareness' is
 really a conceptual device to help one settle down, to
 become aware of things that might interfere with meditation
 etc. But when consciousness equals being in experience,
 subtle really does not make much sense since everything has
 that value so the differentiation between gross and subtle
 is seen as not significant. But it can be very important for
 people learning to meditate and for a number of years after
 that. I tend to drink regular coffee and Irish breakfast
 tea, which is pretty strong. Still caffeine can affect the
 body, so lately I have been tapering down on the stronger
 stuff in the evening, it just depends on whether I want to
 shift into the sleep state at midnight or 3am.