--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Try to figure out, how many different syntactic deep structure
> hierarchies this hypothetical compound word, slightly imitating
some
> Classical Sanskrit writers, can represent:
>
> deep-green-salt-water-melon
> For instance: deep(-green-salt-water-melon)??
>               deep-green(-salt-water-melon), and so on...

Hmm....

Green salt-water-melon that's deep?
Salt-water-melon that's deep green?
Watermelon that contains deep green salt?
Melon that grows in deep green salt water?

So, translating "correctly" a compound word of Shankara's
that per Coulson can contain more than 20 components
would seem next to impossible, IMO, unless one is intimately
 familiar with the subject matter. It just occurred
to me that perhaps those Sanskrit writers that preferred
hyooge compounds, were "afraid" of using  more complex
syntax. Let's consider YS III 9:

vyutthaana-nirodha-saMskaarayor[genitive dual] abhibhava-
praadurbhaavau[nominative dual(?), modifying "anvayaH", that's
in nominative *singular*???]
nirodha-kSaNa-cittaanvayo nirodha-pariNaamaH.

In "[Abhinava-, not necessarily Aadi-]ShaMkara-style" (or perhaps
more so in "Yaamunaacaarya-style") that might sound something like
this:

vyutthaana-nirodha-saMskaara-abhibhava-praadurbhaava-
nirodha-kSaNa-cittaanvayo* nirodha-pariNaamaH.

Every word, except "anvayaH*" and "pariNaamah", is
in the stem form that tells nothing about its syntactic
function in the sentence.

(For instance "Tiger, tiger, burning bright in the forest
of the night" might sound in "ShaMkara-style" like this:

"night-forest-burn-bright-double-tiger".)

Even in "PataƱjali-style" that's tricky enough, but
in "[Abhinava(?)-]ShaMkara-style" it might make people somewhat
dizzy, or stuff.