You're such a smart guy, Salyavin, but you simply turn your brain off when it
comes to theism vs. atheism.

 Again, not trying to convert you to theism, simply to show that Roberts's
argument is bogus where classical theism is concerned. You need an argument
that actually addresses classical theism. It can be done, but only when you
understand what classical theists believe.

 Get away, that's a great argument! Your riposte is a bit of sophistry that
would get you chased up a tree in the bible belt. Sure, some eastern
theologians might agree with you but yer average god fearing tub thumper DOES
NOT believe that all gods are some sort of manifestation of Brahma.

 Not Brahma, Brahman. Brahma is a being; Brahman is the Ground of Being,
Beingness Itself. The theist's God is the Ground of Being, not a being. That
distinction was my point. I assumed you would be familiar with it from your TM
days. Obviously not, so forget it. But it isn't just Eastern theologians by any
means.

That's who the quote is aimed at, anyone who thinks theirs is the only god.
Plenty of those around.

 If so, it's very poorly aimed, because tub-thumpers don't believe in the
demiurge-type god it's dismissing in the first place, any more than they
believe in Zeus.

 << Sorry, Salyavin, but that's such a crappy and ignorant argument, a whopping
category error. The theist doesn't believe in one god among "other possible
gods." It's akin to the difference between Brahma the Creator and Brahman, the
Absolute. The theist isn't narrowing the field to Brahma alone or Shiva alone
or Vishnu alone. And the issue isn't whether Brahman exists; Brahman is
existence itself, Beingness, the necessary condition for anything to exist in
the first place (including Brahma and Shiva and Vishnu, if any of them take
one's fancy).

 That's not an argument in favor of believing in Brahman, it's just to point
out what a shoddy argument Roberts is posing to the theist.

 "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you
do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will
understand why I dismiss yours." Stephen Roberts >>