I had it in 1080p full HD form before Netflix ever released it. Pirate. My
versions were better quality than the streaming Netflix versions, which is why
my friends came over to my place to binge-watch it. :-)

________________________________
 From: Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Internet TV review: House Of Cards

So you "binge" watched?  Of course you didn't wear the eyepatch now that the
Netherlands has Netflix.  Point of order though, watching on Netflix is not
"downloading" in the sense of it downloaded the whole show as one file.
Streamed content on Netflix (and most all streaming services) is done in small
segments played one after another.

Since I'm not a conformist I passed on watching the series as soon
      as it was available on Friday.  In fact I passed on watching ANY
      Netflix all weekend because folks binge watching it would make for
      bad network congestion and moments of fuzzy low-res video from
      their usual 1080p SuperHD.  Instead Friday night I watched
      "Ender's Game" on Bluray.

AND last night I chose instead to watch a great movie much panned
      and if I recall panned by you: "The Counselor."  BUT I watched the
      unrated director's cut which was 2 hours and 18 minutes long.
      Can't imagine trimming the film down to less than 2 hours to
      please theater owners. Every scene was like a small short story in
      itself and very much reminded me of my favorite David Lynch film
      "Wild at Heart" which was written by a local, Barry Gifford.
      There is so much packed into the dialog that the film wouldn't
      make much sense cut.  I also chose to rent it from VUDU because
      they were the only service that listed what audio format I would
      get which was DD+.  And it was all in stunning 1080p (what VUDU
      calls HDX).  There is certainly some great cinematography in the
      film.

Additionally I was lukewarm about the first season of "House of
      Cards" and indeed had watched the original many years ago when it
      played on PBS (Masterpiece Theater).  Production wise it is great
      but we have much more thrilling, crazy and scarier political
      intrigue just watching Washington, DC nowadays.  I'll probably get
      to season two later this week as the binge watchers are finished.
      Remember we have the fascist telecoms here being pissy about
      Netflix and throttling it.  If Barack wasn't so in bed with them
      (he's especially in bed with the Roberts family who run Comcast)
      there might be some action on these miscreants.  I wonder if
      Hastings actually scheduled "House of Cards" as a volley shot
      across Comcast owned NBC coverage of the Sochi Winter Games.

Also I have started watching the 4 episode UK series "Run" which
      popped up on Hulu+. Another great import.

On 02/17/2014 12:30 AM, turquoi...@yahoo.com wrote:

>This weekend, while others on FFL argued about unprovable theoretical shit
>like the existence of God or tried to insult and demonize those who speak
>about actual spiritual experience when they can't because they've never had
>any :-), I, like millions of Americans and now others around the world, chose
>to focus on evil politicians guilty of murder and worse, government corruption
>so pervasive as to be taken for granted, and news media only interested in
>seeking viewers, not truth.
>
>And that was just the Nightly News. Oh, and I also
                    watched the second season of "House Of Cards."  :-)

>Unlike most of these Netflixers (who were able to
                    download their flagship original series all at once
                    rather than have to wait a week between episodes and
                    thus were binge-watching like crazy), I have
                    actually seen the original UK series on which it is
                    based, and thus can appreciate the differences. In
                    this case, IMO the original was better, but the US
                    version has its charms, too, and is far more
                    accessible to an American audience.

>Part of the reason, of course, is Kevin Spacey. He
                    obviously delighted in being able to play one of the
                    most charmingly evil characters in film/TV history,
                    and does so with mucho flair. He's best in those
                    moments in which (using a trick stolen from the
                    original series) he "breaks character" in the middle
                    of a scene, turns directly to the camera, and speaks
                    to us in the audience, telling us what he's *really*
                    thinking, as opposed to what he's saying. It's a
                    cool trick, and is not overused in the series, so it
                    provides a kind of "subtitles" when watching the
                    machinations of one of the most evil politicians
                    since Machiavelli.

>Robin Wright is also great as his wife, equally evil
                    and self-serving in her own right. Kate Mara as a
                    reporter who knows how evil Spacey's character is
                    and is trying to prove it is good in a shorter role
                    than she played in the last season. Gerald McRaney
                    is tremendous as a 1% billionaire pulling all the
                    strings from the background, and Michael Kelly is
                    great as the Spacey character's loyal henchman and
                    head "fixer." In terms of "new faces," however, my
                    favorite is the extraordinary Molly Parker
                    ("Deadwood"), who I would watch in a soap
                    commercial, much less in one of the major roles of a
                    major TV series. Color me happy with the casting
                    decisions. Other players are good, and the use of
                    real-life commentators like Rachel Maddow and Morley
                    Safer to present the "news" playing on TVs in the
                    background or to conduct interviews adds to the
                    impression of "realness."

>And, in another sense, the "realness" the creators
                    of this series achieve is effective, because it's
                    probably as close and as accurate a portrait of what
                    "politics as usual" really IS as anyone is likely to
                    ever see onscreen. While there are some critics (and
                    I am one of them) who feel that Netflix's *other*
                    major series ("Orange Is The New Black") is better
                    in many ways, still I commend them for this one.
                    It's easily as good as anything from HBO or
                    Showtime, and infinitely better than almost anything
                    on broadcast TV. Expect another round of nominations
                    and wins for the second season, and expect to do a
                    bit of binge-watching yourself if you succumb and
                    download this 13-episode season.

>My advice, however, is that if you didn't watch the
                    first season, double your binge-watching time and
                    start with it. I found myself having to go back and
                    re-watch parts of it, just to remind myself who and
                    what I was dealing with, and the evilnessitude they
                    had specialized in previously. And a good thing I
                    did, too, because I caught something I might not
                    have otherwise. You know how some TV shows create an
                    artificial "gap" between seasons, as if some
                    unspecified amount of time has passed? Well, as far
                    as I can tell the "gap" between season 1 of "House
                    Of Cards" and season 2 is about five minutes of
                    elapsed real time. So being "up to speed" on what
                    happened last season will help you appreciate what's
                    happening in this one even more.

>Good television. Not great television...that term is
                    reserved for series like "Deadwood" and "Breaking
                    Bad." But damned good, and very watchable. It's like
                    watching Lord and Lady Macbeth in the White House.