I mean, I guess it could boil down to one question.

 If there is consciousness after physical death, why?

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

 Good questions, especially in an argument started by and perpetuated by
someone who doesn't even have the balls to say what she believes. She's arguing
*literally* just for the sake of arguing. Go figure.

As for life after death, you didn't ask me but I don't see that this has
anything to do with God or the belief or non-belief in one. I don't believe in
a God, but I suspect (based on subjective experience of fairly dynamic waking
state "past-life flashbacks) that consciousness may continue after physical
death. But that has nothing whatsoever IMO to do with either the existence of a
God or the existence of any kind of "morality" or "fairness" as you imply with
your notions about karma.

I think that "fairness" is a human-invented concept that does not exist in
nature, and never has. It's a myth that people think up so that they won't be
so frightened of the idea of chaos and indeterminancy. That's why they invent
the myth of God too IMO, but one doesn't necessarily have anything to do with
the other.

Anyway, as for the Great Mystery that we call death, I pass along an
interesting song that will probably not mean anything to anyone here who isn't
a fan of the Canadian TV show "Lost Girl." This song (in its entirety) was used
to close the last show of the season, in which one of everyone's favorite
characters gets to explore the Great Mystery, and IMO it was brilliantly
chosen, because all over Canada and North America fans were weeping to see her
go. But as to WHERE she's going, that's still a Great Mystery, as much in
fiction as in real life. No problemo...we'll all find out soon enough
ourselves.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2fCcggNkTs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2fCcggNkTs

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <steve.sundur@...> wrote:

 Does it advance the discussion in anyway to ask what "you" believe, say in
regards to what happens when you die, or when "anyone" dies?  Is it the atheist
position that it's "lights out". Options - "expire worthless"

 Now, I know one might say, "I have no evidence that, that's not the case", but
I'd like to know what "you" believe.

 My analysis compels me to believe that there is an element of karma, and that
karma carries over from one existence to the next, and the next.  To use a oft
cited example, the person who is a mass murderer, just merges back into
nothingness upon death?  No consequences?  So people get away with murder?  Or
no kudos for a generous life?  No second chance for a life cut down after one
or two years?

 Step away from the theory for a moment and tell us, if you care to, what you
believe in this regard.