> > On 2/26/2014 8:00 AM, jedi_spock@... mailto:jedi_spock@... wrote:

 There is difference between Theology and Theism. >
> --- WillyTex <punditster@...> wrote:
 > According to what I've read, Hinduism is sometimes considered to be be
 > polytheistic. That's because the Smartas, the leading sect in India, follow
 > the Advaita Vedanta in which there is a basic unity in all personal forms of
 > God. Absolute monists see the personal forms as different aspects of the one
 > Supreme Being - Nirguna Brahman; and all personal forms of God are equal in
 > the Saguna Brahman. In fact, Smartism is impersonalistic theism. Go figure.

"The term "henotheism" was first coined to describe the
theology of Rigvedic religion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigvedic_religion.
The Rigveda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigveda was the basis for
Max Müller's description of henotheism in the sense of a
polytheistic tradition striving towards a formulation of The
One (ekam https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekam) Divinity aimed at by the worship
of different
cosmic principles. From this mix of monism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monism, monotheism and
naturalist polytheism Max Müller decided to name the early
Vedic religion henotheistic. A prime example of the monistic
aspects of the late Rigveda is the Nasadiya sukta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasadiya_sukta, a hymn
describing creation: "That One breathed by itself without
breath, other than it there has been nothing."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henotheism#Hinduism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henotheism#Hinduism