This is a wonderful story. At the back of my mind, I even have hazy memories of
having met a Doug Preston (the author) when I lived in Santa Fe. I certainly
know many of the people he writes about, especially the Tibetans with a shop on
Canyon Road. I can look around the room I'm currently sitting in here in the
Netherlands and see many objects I bought there.

I love how he captures the setting, and the incredibly silly way that
blissninnies behave around people they perceive to be their spiritual betters,
and how *those* people -- in this case the Dalai Lama -- pay no attention to
the silliness. Lovely story, with an even lovelier punchline, and it only cost
the writer $50. Such a deal.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2014/02/dalai_lama_at_a_santa_fe_ski_resort_tells_waitress_the_meaning_of_life.html