I didn't see anything at the site to indicate that bidding in its charity
auctions was considered "selfless service," by David Lynch or anybody else. Did
Barry perhaps only imagine this? Seems to me Duran Duran would be the ones
doing the "selfless service," if anybody.

 Also, interestingly, the "selfless giving" dude Barry goes on to cite appears
to be something of a (harmless) religious fanatic (check out the video on the
page). Most of the money the guy collects goes for the upkeep of churches. Is
that what melted Barry's heart?

 Fine by me; I'm sure he's a very holy fellow. I just wondered whether Barry
had grabbed the link from that clickbait site for gratuitous putdown purposes
without paying much attention to the man's story.

 I can't imagine a better personification of what Nabby (and of course
Maharishi) felt was the definition of "charity" or "selfless service." Bid
against other people to spend time with a fave band, the money going to the DLF
(and Maharishi's relatives), and you're cool. Not to mention the belief that
having the money to bid with makes you one of the "elite," more highly evolved
than others, and thus more worthy of respect.

The kind of "selfless giving" that impresses me is more like this. Nabby will
probably consider him a bum...possibly even a hillbilly...

http://urbantimes.co/2014/02/the-reason-why-this-99-year-old-man-walks-miles-a-day-to-beg-for-money-will-melt-your-heart/