---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <authfriend@...> wrote:

 Exactly right. To call transcending an "experience" confuses the issue when
you get down to the nitty-gritty. I don't think it's "gobbledygook semantics,"
it's just that we don't have a language of transcendence, so we often have to
go through semantic contortions.

 You make an excellent point when you say "the line between being conscious of
something and having a thought about that something is very fine if not
non-existent." It is non-existent! And that's crucial to the mechanics of TM.

 BTW, when Seraphita says, "So you are *not* doing what Maharshi says," she is
referring--I think!--not to Maharishi Mahesh Yogi but to Ramana Maharshi. I
could be wrong, but I don't think MMY ever gave any such instruction with
regard to waking, unless it was some sort of specialized advanced technique.

 -

 Maharishi said that everyone passes through transcendence as they go from one
state of consciousness to another (waking to dreaming to sleeping and back
again). He probably would not have recommended trying to hold one's awareness
in that in-between stage, at least not for ordinary meditators. Sounds to me as
though Ramana Maharshi was turning a description of his spontaneous experience
into a prescription for practice instead of just letting it develop naturally
in his students.

 Ann, one might well not notice an instant of transcendence between waking and
sleeping--it's easy enough to miss when one is meditating (since there's quite
literally nothing to it, nothing to be aware of).

 Yes, and I make this point in a recent post to Seraphita. You know, this
transcendence business is a funny one because it seems like you only realize
you were transcending after the fact and that is kind of like having had
amnesia and someone tells you that for the last five minutes you were
bellydancing except you don't remember a thing.

 Re Ann's "The transition between waking and sleeping is not transcendence in
my book. It is full of thoughts and awareness that do not feel transcendental
at all.":  So you are *not* doing what Maharshi says. You have to hold your
awareness at the point you wake up *before* thoughts arise. Presumably it
worked for Ramana because he was in a state of Unity already; his suggestion is
that it could work for others also. I mention him as his ideas rather nicely
dovetail with Lynch's description of transcending during meditation. And I
mention Lynch and the commentator on the article as their take on TM as an
intermediate state between sleep and waking is more helpful than the Official
TM approach using bubble diagrams. Re Richard's "Meditation means "to think
things over". So, TM meditation is based on thinking. Anyone who can think is
probably already practising a basic meditation.":
 If "meditation" means thinking then "Transcendental Meditation" suggests
"going beyond thinking". But "meditation" only means thinking in western
contexts. Easterners use whatever word they use in their language for
"meditation" in a sense closer to western ideas of "contemplation".