It's about bloody time someone took on the critics who dump on the show simply
because they *can't follow the dialogue*. As one of the detectives questioning
Rust Cohle, totally incomprehending after hearing another of his philosophical
monologues replies to it, "That's above my pay grade." The series these critics
are dumping on is above their pay grade. The philosophy expressed in "True
Dectective" is, from my point of view, largely lucid, *possibly* a little
overwritten (except that's *exactly* how stuck-in-their-heads philosophers
think and talk) and sounds at times not unlike a kinda depressed Advaita.

I'm just passing along the article for those who are watching the series, and
will ignore any commentary from those who *aren't*, and who think that they're
able to comment *anyway*, just because they've read a review or two, or just
this article. Such people aren't worth paying any attention to...they're a lot,
in fact, like the critics being criticized, who once read a passage or two from
Neitzsche and think that enabled them to pigeonhole his philosophy. What these
people who get their buttons pushed by Rust's atheism and obviously cynical
view of life fail to realize is that he is the only character in the series who
actually *acts ethically*, and who carries on trying to do the right thing. He
knows (or believes he knows) that nothing he can or will do will make a grain
of difference in the larger cosmic scheme of things, but he does the right
thing *anyway*, because it matters. This is a kind of philosophy that the
talk-the-talk-but-never-walk-the-walk-ers can't conceive of, and that both
challenges them and pisses them off.

 http://www.thepointmag.com/2014/culture/doubters
http://www.thepointmag.com/2014/culture/doubters