The transponder may have been turned off by the pilot or the co-pilot. As
far as why, you'll have to wait until after I talk to Dad tonight - he was
a pilot in the USAF and is keeping with this via all his AF connections.
There was a rumor yesterday saying the plane landed somewhere - that's why
the victim cell phones were still connected when some of the relatives
called some of the passengers an hour or two after they went missing. Go
figure.

"US military now say they believe missing Malaysian plane HAS crashed
hundreds of miles away in the INDIAN Ocean..."

Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/malasian_plane/<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2579955/No-wreckage-no-cracks-fuselage-no-secret-engine-data-Clueless-airline-officials-rule-EVERY-new-crash-theory-going-come-REAL-information.html>